If you are planning to go on a holiday trip to Asia, India should be on top of your list whether it’s an exploration trip or just a simple gateway. With the sun-washed beaches and the snow dusted mountains, India is an amazing territory of diversity and a country with a lot to explore. A country famous for its rich and exotic culture, not forgetting its history which is as interesting as the many destinations you can explore in it, some of these amazing places should fit in your itinerary and make it easier.
I have listed the 8 incredible sights in India you do not want to miss the next time you visit. Use the map below to see the location of each of these attractions.
1. The Taj Mahal: The Taj Mahal has become a very famous trademark of India in the past recent years. Taj Mahal means the ‘crowns place’ and it has become a breath taking tomb in the whole planet with its fascinating architecture which combines the elements of Islamic, Central Asian and Persian. It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan and it’s found in Agra, Uttar Pradesh in India. Being an integrated complex structure, the Taj Mahal not only mesmerizes the eyes but also touches the soul, heart and mind.
2. The Himalayas: It’s a mountain range located in the southern Asia separating the Tibetan Plateau from the Indian sub continental plains. The range is home to the world’s highest peaks including Mt. Everest which is the highest. The lush green mountains, exotic animals, flowers and herbs are all attractions to tourists. Not to forget the adventure earned in this location, the Himalayas indeed deserves to be on the top list on places to visit in India.
3. Virupaksha Temple: The Virupaksha Temple located in the city of Hampi began as a small shine and later developed to a large complex. The temple is said to have been functioning since the 7th century AD uninterruptedly, making it one of the oldest operating Hindu temples in India.
4. The Ajanta & Ellora Caves: The Ajanta and Ellora Caves are famous for the fact that they were cut and constructed by hands. These monuments are found in the state of Maharashtra and date back to the 2nd century BC. They are considered to be the finest Buddhist masterpieces and the greatest Buddhist architecture and art creation. The Ellora caves are popular for the amazing ancient architecture while the Ajanta caves are famous for the splendid paintings.
5. The Kanha National Park: Kanha National Park is one of the most alluring wildlife reserve in all of Asia and also a perfect site to see the tiger in India. The bamboo forests, ravines and the grassy meadows in the park make it a top attraction site in India.
6. Goa: Goa is the smallest state in India famous for its exotic beaches with golden sands, coconut palms and an amazing sunset view. The night life in Goa is always active making it an ideal destination for sociable tourists who want more than just nature trips. Delicious seafood, wind surfing and water surfing facilities make Goa a fun-place and a splendid destination in India.
7. The Lake Palace: Located in Lake Pichola, the lake palace was built in the 18th century as a royal summer place. Today it is a 5 star luxury hotel and has a boat that transports guests. It became famous in 1993 when it was featured in a James Bond film, the Octopussy.
8. The Kerala backwaters: These are a chain of lakes and lagoons lying parallel to Arabian Sea coast at Kerala state. They are home to exotic aquatic life such as crabs, mudskippers, frogs and water birds. However, houseboat tourism is the most popular activity today in the backwaters.
The next time you travel to India, keep these destinations in mind and you will not only get to please your eyes, but also empower your mind and soul as well. When applying for an Indian Visa remember to checklist the passport, two identical recent passport sized photographs and an online filled application form.